I'm going to take a break from telling where my thoughts on today's political environment come from to talk about something else.
As much as I may disagree with the somewhat fake-feeling of goodwill here at the Y, it's actually kind of nice to have. People will take you at your word here. When I was in Salt Lake, I got a speeding ticket for going a normal speed on a road where the speed limit is ridiculous. Down here, I could get into the same situation, and NOT get a ticket. This happened today.
The officer, in both situations, smiled at me, with a loving sort of reprimand. but... the officer in salt lake gave me a ticket. the one down here just asked me about how my classes were going.
one of the differences was that I was riding my bike here, not my car. There's a hill by my dorm that you pretty much have to take to get to class, and there's no bike riding on that hill. If you do, it's a $50 fine. apparently this applies to the tunnel at the end of the hill as well. When I came out of this tunnel, sort of riding my bike, the officer got out of his car, called me over and told me what the rule actually is. I told him that I was only riding it through the tunnel, and he took me at my word. Then I talked to him about my major, my classes, and I found out that you can ride bikes UP the hill, just not DOWN it. weird rule. but... NO TICKET! yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
P.S. Your last post was a far oversimplified and overly moralistic version of what actually happened during the February and October revolutions. Most of the Provisional Government were just leftovers of the aristocracy. Most of the Communists were not evil. Most of the over 350,000 wildly popular communists I should mention. They were in fact the largest political party at the time in Russia.
I'm no expert but even a minimal amount of research shows flaws in your one-sided analysis.
I'll get to my rebuttal of that later. I'm wondering, what are you trying to prove? and... in a country of 18 million, 350,000? that's a big party? plus also, that includes the "mensheviks," who did not attempt to take over the government using military means.
Anti climactic!
Your past two posts have been so intriguing, but also saying absolutely NOTHING since you're not explaining anything and being one sided. I had been hoping it would lead up to some interesting answers today- and then relate to something important about today political environment- but this story had nothing to do with that. SAD DAY BEN!!!
On another note however, the rule makes sense. Riding DOWN the hill might be a little dangerous, going fast and outta control... you know those happy-go-lucky Y kids, riding their bikes like maniacs... it's how they get their rush since obviously heroine, prostitutes, Bud Light and other college-familiar-faces are not too common there.
Post a Comment